First Days pepi-pod sleep space for postnatal facilities
A small sized infant sleep space has been introduced into some postnatal facilities in New Zealand following a trial run to assess usefulness in resolving the 'safe or close' dilemma of unsettled babies in the new-born period sharing beds with their sleeping mothers. It enables babies to be safe and close in the critical first days of life.
A report on the trial describes the experiences of 28 women who used the 'First Days' pod, and 83% said they would like to see it offered to women in that facility. A selection of their comments are listed below.
- 'Has made a huge difference in a positive way.'
- 'Useful when babies are unsettled and cluster feeding.'
- 'This was fantastic to be able to easily reach baby while still mostly in bed after a C-section.'
- 'Handy as my baby was very unsettled and slept better being right beside me.'
- 'I liked that I could be closer to my baby and that I could touch him during the night.'
- 'Am able to sleep with baby and hear him as he wakes for feeds.'
- 'When staff are busy, I could easily pick baby up and proceed with breastfeeding.'
- 'Removed the fear of him not being safe.'
How to place an order
A limited supply of the First Days pepi-pod sleep space has been brought in from England. Each pod is supplied with an eco-foam mattress (no CFC) with a 100% waterproof cover. Facilities will need to supply their own bedding for the pods. The pods are offered to postnatal facilities on a cost recovery basis and can be ordered using this purchase authority form. Please contact us if you need more information information.